Simple Rice Pilaf recipe:
Makes: 2 servings
You will need:
Rice - 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Jalapeno - 1 thinly sliced
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Olive oil - 1 tablespoons
Salt - as per taste
Step 1: Wash the rice well until water runs clear and cook it with plain water or stock.
Step 2: Heat up a pan with olive oil. Add the cumin seeds and sliced jalapeños and stir fry till the peppers have slightly browned.
Step 3: Add turmeric followed by the cooked rice and salt, stir fry for couple of mins and serve.
- Pilaf is all about what you add in it. Use any herbs, spices or flavorings you like.
- Typically raw rice is sauted with the flavorings and then cooked. In this case, cooking rice first with prevent the jalapeños from becoming mushy.
- Onion, garlic or ginger could be used to give a nice flavor to the rice.
- Some chopped cilantro in the end is a great addition.
- This Pilaf goes well with any type of grilled meat, meatballs, roasted vegetables etc.